Friday, January 9, 2009

New Additions and New Year's Resolutions

So, here's a bit of a story for ya...

I few month ago, Ben started asking me if we could get a dog. Well, if any of you know him you would laugh just as I did because he jumps in my arms if we get any where near a dog! Anyway, we went the rounds with why not and I ended up suggesting maybe we should try a goldfish for a pet. He liked that idea but we never did anything about it and I just put him off. Well, 2 weeks ago we got this book from the library called "Dogfish". A really cute story about a boy who wants a dog but just has a goldfish. I highly recommend it...such a well-written, cute story. So the book rekindled his desire to have a goldfish and New Year's day we ventured out to Walmart and came home with a fishbowl kit and 2 pet goldfish. They have affectionately been named Goldie and Red. The kids love them!
Okay, so that's the first part of the story. The second part (sorry this is so long) is that the well-written "Dogfish" book got me thinking about my New Year's Resolutions. The book has such a sweet message. After arguing with his mom for days about getting a dog, the boys mother finally says to him: "maybe if you can't have what you want, you should try loving what you have." I found it very inspiring as I often find myself wishing for things I can't have...you know that "I'll be happy when" or "if only this". So I've decided to center my New Year's Resolutions on such a theme - to love what I have. So here's a few thoughts so far:
1. Instead of wishing for that perfect size 4 body I'll never have, I resolve to love that body I have and try harder to take better care of it.
2. Instead of waiting for the money tree to sprout, I resolve to be thankful for the good income we have and use it wisely.
3. Instead of putting off good intentions, I resolve to give service more freely and spontaneously and set a good example for my children.
4. I resolve to show more gratitude for the gospel in my life and study and live its principles more carefully and faithfully.

Anyway...wish me luck!

Happy New Year!

3 comments:

  1. That's so great Valerie! A good reminder for us all. So glad to see you on here. Your blog is adorable. But I wouldn't expect anything less from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story, and great resolutions. I can tell I'm going to love reading your blog! I'll be checking back often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and that is a great family picture.

    ReplyDelete