Friday, January 9, 2009

Gingerbread House Tip


Here's another belated Christmas post...

I decided this year it would be fun to make our traditional gingerbread house from scratch...usually we just by the kit and put it together. So, it really wasn't that hard. I found a template on Martha Stewart and baked the pieces and some gingerbread boys. Then I made some royal icing and attempted to put it together. Well, 2 hours later it still wasn't staying together so I called my sister for some help. She gave me a great tip she got from her friend...she used straight pins to put her gingerbread house together. I was skeptical that it would work but literally five minutes later I had an assembled gingerbread house! The straight pins made great nails! I called my sister back and told her to tell her friend that she is a GENIUS! It was a very helpful tip and one I will definitely use next year! Try it out too and let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. That IS a great tip! Perfect. Also, you can hot glue the houses together first then turn them over to the kids to decorate. Cute house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year I used melted sugar. Take plain white sugar and heat it while stirring until it melts -- dip the edges of the gingerbread in and stick together -- it quickly hardens to cement, but easily washes off your pan.

    ReplyDelete