Saturday, March 21, 2009

Spring Cleaning Tips

Isn't she ambitious?

So a dear friend recently emailed me and asked me to post some Spring cleaning tips on my blog...specifically how to clean grout and how to clean wood blinds. Now, I disclaim being any kind of expert but I do like to clean and have been working on my own spring cleaning. So, with a grain of salt, I post some simple spring cleaning ideas to celebrate the first day of Spring!

1st- Make a list...decide what you want to accomplish and put it in writing. I like to work room by room. So I make a list for each room and cross it off as I go.

2nd - Be prepared. When you set out to do some cleaning and organizing, gather all cleaning and organizing supplies before hand. Be aware of the time you want to spend on the task and don't take on too much at one time.

3rd - Committ to getting rid of old, unused, impracital items in each room or area as you clean and organize. I like to committ to getting rid of 3 things in each area. It's very refreshing to toss out the old ...and maybe reward yourself with something new for all the hard work...a new set of sheets or towels, a new wall hanging, etc.


Some favorite tools and cleaning products:

1. Lysol all purpose cleaning...it kills 99.9% of germs unlike Pinesol and other similar type cleaners

2. Murphy's Oil Soap...great for cleaning blinds, wood floors, and I love to use it to clean walls and baseboards.

3. Swiffer dusters...great for catching dust instead of swishing it around. Works great on blinds and ceiling fans.

4. Containers..."a place for everything and everything in its place". I love using baskets, rubbermaid totes, and other containers for every closet and drawer. It really helps keep things organized.

5. Labels...a great companion for all those containers.

Now for cleaning grout:

If your looking to just keep it clean I love using Lysol All Purpose Cleaner like I mentioned or Mr. Clean. But you can also try diluted vinegar, dilute ammonia or hydrogen peroxide. If you need more professional cleaners, try an oxygen bleach powder. It cleans and removes stains without bleaching out the color in the grout. I'm going to try one called Stain Solver. A stiff brush is also helpful in cleaning grout. I like to use the Sonic Scrubber... its a little spinning brush with interchangeable heads.

And the wood blinds:

Regular maintainence is the best...weekly dusting with a damp cloth or Swiffer duster. Never get real wood blinds wet. Murphys Oil soap works well on faux wood blinds for cleaning. Tilt the blinds to a 45 degree angle and then wipe each side. I have a neighbor who said she soaked her faux wood blinds in bleach to treat the yellowing from the sun and found it successful with a little scrubbing. I haven't tried yet but am thinking about it.

Well, hope that gives you some ideas or inspires you do de-clutter. Happy Cleaning!

1 comment:

  1. So I have been computerless for awhile and gone crazy but now I am back. THANK YOU !!! You are awesome. I love your blog. It always inspires me.

    ReplyDelete