Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Little Goldie Goldfish



We had a bittersweet Saturday morning...we lost our pet goldfish Goldie. Bryan was going to feed them when he noticed Goldie floating on his side. He came downstairs to inform me of the news and we debated whether to tell Ben or just replace him. Well we decided we should tell him and I thought he would take okay because I had been preparing him from day one that goldfish don't live as long as people. But when we broke the news to him, he broke down in hysterical sobs and carried on about the injustice of the situation. Even after the hysterics calmed, he kept getting big crocodile tears and his little chin quivered. I tried to get a picture of that sad, sweet face but he would have nothing of it. Any way we sent Goldie to a watery grave and headed to the pet store for a replacement. We ended up coming home with 2 guppies..."Gubby-Gubby" and "Lellow". They are quite hyper fish and have been chasing Red around the bowl a lot. Ben commented that he was still sad that Goldie died but was glad we could have 2 new fish. Oh, the circle of life.


2 comments:

  1. We've had our fair share of goldfish sent to their watery graves as well. We moved on to Beta's and now that they have arrived at the same fate we are needing to find a replacement--guppies might just be it!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, poor Ben. They really do take those kinds of things so hard. I'm glad to hear other kids are extra sensitive too. If it makes you feel any better, when our beta fish died, it was slow, so Eliza cried as she watched it swim halfway on its side all morning until it finally kicked the bucket. It was about a week after Sarah was born, and in my sleep-deprived stupor, I threw it in the dumpster in a plastic grocery bag, instead of flushing it. Our dumpster is in our garage and within 2 days I had 20some flies in my house. I almost lost my mind.

    ReplyDelete