Sunday, May 10, 2009

I Enjoy Being a Girl



Motherhood and womanhood is definitely a bittersweet adventure...but I wouldn't leave it for anything else. Mother's Day has me wanting to post about the women and mother's in my life.



I have been blessed to have the best "Super Mom" around. She truly amazes me. Now that I'm a mother, I'm constantly asking her how she ever survived giving birth to 7 children in less than 10 years and then successful raising us all to go on to have happy and successful lives of our own. She is famous for being able to juggle it all...sewing, cooking, cleaning, teaching, organizing, creating, serving...and on and on. When we were younger she always sewed matching Easter and Christmas dresses for my 4 sisters and I.

We always went to church on time with cute curly hair and pressed dresses...even when my dad was in the bishopric. I think one of the most valuable lessons I learned from my mother is the value of hard work. She has always pressed forward despite the challenges she has faced. I was looking at some old photos of me and my family and noticed her many of the pictures. It was fun to watch how often she was pregnant and see how quickly our family grew. In many of the pictures she is busy being the "supermom" and we're around her happy and thriving. I really had a wonderful childhood. I know that her success as a mother was not without much sacrifice on her part and I am truly thankful for all that she did and continues to do for me.




Besides my mother, I have been blessed with another group of women in my life...my sisters and now sister in laws. I have always loved my sisters but for some reason, after I had Natalie they suddenly became so much more meaningful to me. I always thought that when I became a mother I wanted to just have boys. I grew up with the drama of 4 sisters and thought boys would be a nice way to go. However, when a daughter entered my life, I immediately thought, "She's got to have a sister! How can she go through life without a sister?" My sisters are my best friends and we have been through so much together...I just can't understand how any girl can get through life without them. So a big thank you to all of them and the great talents and love they share with me.

I truly enjoy being a woman and a mother...the bitter and the sweet...and am thankful for the blessings that come with it.

4 comments:

  1. I am so grateful for sisters too! Thank you for being one of my best friends! You truly are an amazing person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing all your pics from childhood and growing up! I am still waiting for my mom to let go and give ME some! :) Anyway, I am one of 4 daughters as well! I love my sisters so much, they are truly my BEST friends! I feel the same way about Maddie--wanting her to have a sister. My mother had 7 children as well, but NOT in a 10 year period! Impressive! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute post. I love it!! Seriously, your blog is the best. I also loved your top 25 list. You are such a great person and I appreciate you sharing your talents and your example has always touched me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post-it's true, I could not survive without my sisters either! I loved the pictures from your growing up, it reminded me of our homemade matching Easter dresses!

    ReplyDelete