Sunday, May 10, 2009

BOM Book Club Update

Well, as you can tell from my previous post that my Martha side has been more dominant the past few weeks and my scripture study ambitions haven't played out as well as I planned. However, I did get through a dozen chapters in 1 Nephi and had a few thoughts to jot down.

I've been thinking a lot about the contrast between Laman and Lemuel and Nephi. The constant whining and complaining from Laman and Lemuel is exhausting and it has me thinking about how much I might be like them. Nephi on the other hand is so obedient and dedicated. He presses forward with the challenges presented before him with unwaivering faith and hope. As a parent, I often find myself in conflict or contentions with my children. I'm hoping that as I continue to read and study, I'll be inspired to find ways to be more positive and cheerfull wtih them during difficult times.

Last month's Visiting Teaching Message had some great quotes about scripture study. Pres. Benson said that "Success in righteousness, the power to avoid deception and resist temptation, guidance in our daily lives, healing of the soul—these are but a few of the promises the Lord has given to those who will come to His word.. . . Certain blessings are to be found only in the scriptures, only in coming to the word of the Lord and holding fast to it. "

I'm inspired to read more. Leave me a post if you've been reading with me.

1 comment:

  1. I have been reading the New Testament lately, and thought I would share some of my journal thoughts this morning. As I have been reading it through, I have noticed more references to the Savior's hands. Many of the references to His hands are connected to healing.
    One of my favorite stories of His healing is when he heals the leper (Mark 1:40-42). I believe many were afraid to touch or be around those with leprosy, but not the Savior. I love how the leper comes to the Savior with great faith and asks, "If thou wilt, thou cast make me clean. And Jesus, moved with compassion, put forth his hand, and touched him, and saith unto him, I will; be thou clean." The leper knew the Savior would heal him, and the Savior did not hesitate to provide healing with His faith.
    I noticed for the second time in this particular chapter, the healing occurred immediately as the next verse says, "And as soon as he had spoken, immediately the leprosy departed from him, and he was cleansed." I love the stories of His healing power that comes through His gentle hands because they remind I can receive of this healing power when I have faith and ask. I think maybe the Savior kept the holes in His perfect, resurrected body so that I can remember His hands are still there to heal if I humble myself and remember I can't do it all myself. There have been many times in my life that I have felt those hands of healing wrap around me to comfort me when I ask for the help. I love that immediate calming feeling of love that can be found no other way than through His healing hands. Sometimes I feel ashamed to ask for help or wish I could fix it myself, but then again that is the purpose of the Atonement - the way the Savior can provide understanding, healing, and unconditional love.

    ReplyDelete