Sunday, April 26, 2009

Mary, Martha, and a Book of Mormon Book Club




Martha and Mary from the New Testament have been on my mind recently...I'm sure you're all familiar with the story from the Luke Chapter 10 when Christ comes to visit Mary and Martha:

38 ¶ Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.
39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word.
40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

I have read this many times, heard many talks and discussions about it, even read a book about it (Mary, Martha and Me). It has meant different things to me at different times of my life. I often associate myself with Martha...encumbered about with many household tasks and projects that can interfere with my attention to other needful things. I find myself recently encumbered with cleaning house, raising children, teaching piano lessons, being a room mother, crafting, scrap booking, cooking, etc. All good things but they can get in the way of the attention I pay to my spiritual health and time spent studying the scriptures. I'm sure all you mothers out there can relate. Anyway, I've been trying to shape some better habits with reading my scriptures and got to thinking about a "Book of Mormon Book Club" my Relief Society did awhile back when we were reading the BOM for Pres. Hinckley's challenge. I enjoyed it so much and have decided to start my own little Book of Mormon Book Club on this blog.

Here's how it will work if anyone wants to join me:

Set a goal of how many pages you want to read each night or each week. (I'm going to try to read 5 to 8 pages a night).

Sunday or Monday, I'll blog about thoughts or interesting things learned in my reading this week. If you want to participate, leave a comment on each weekly post about your own reading and thoughts.

So that's it!

If you want to join my little Book of Mormon Book Club, just leave me a comment!

One last thought...I've often wondered how the story of Martha and Mary would have turned out differently if they would have helped each other have the best of both worlds. What if Mary would have helped Martha before Christ came, or encouraged her to sit and listen and then they would do the work together later. I hope adding this spiritual post to my blog about temporal things can help me (and maybe some others) find a better balance between my "Mary" and "Martha" endeavours.

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea, but your full of great ideas aren't you. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." Aren't those beautiful words? What a great idea about the BOM book club! This months VT message was about scripture study, and I too have been thiking I really need to rededicate myself to doing better. I am thinking I will need to rededicate myself many time thru out life, but it is good to be surrounded with supporters! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely want in! I will have to read all these great posts later, but yes, definitely.

    ReplyDelete