Sunday, April 26, 2009

Little Pigs Have Big Ears!

You've heard the sayings about children and eavesdropping..."little pigs have big ears" or "children may not obey but they will listen." These expressions came to mind this week as I had few experiences with my children repeating things they have heard me say. Just yesterday at lunch time, I pulled out some Teddy Graham Trail Mix I'd recently bought and passed some out to Natalie. She looked over the contents: mini chocolate teddy grahams, mini graham bees, tiny pretzel twists, and yogurt covered raisins. She replied "Oh, these pretzels are kinda cute!" I smiled only to hear her brother reply, "Food cannot be cute!". I laughed and recounted the the banter to Bryan. He pointed to Ben and said "Daddy" and then at Natalie, "Mommy." We have had several such conversations where I have commented on how some snack or food I've prepared turned out cute and he's sarcastically disagreed! Funny how our kids picked that up. Ben's also been heard to repeat some silly phrases we say...especially Seinfeld quotes!

I've been also thinking about a conversation I once overheard my own mother have. She was talking to my grandmother about my aunt and her daugther. She said something along the lines of "If you want to know what kind of parent you are, just watch your children playing house." Apparently my aunt had been watching her daughter play with some friends and got a view of just what kind of mother she was. Recently I've had my own such experience. I've lately overheard Ben talking to Natalie in a sarcastic tone when he's frustrated with her. He'll respond to her questions or actions with sarcastic questions. "What does it look like I'm doing Natalie?" "What do you think?" It really started to annoy me so I sat him to down to discuss it one afternoon. I realized half way through the discussion why he was talking this way. I often respond to him with questions, sarcastic and serious...and had, in fact, used a couple when I was talking to him! What a good mother I am!

So I'm learning to be more careful about what my little pigs ears hear...whether it's funny Seinfeld quotes or words of discipline. Oh how much respect I've gained for my own parents since I've become a mother. It's a tough job!

2 comments:

  1. Great Post. I totally agree with you & how much respect you gain for your own parents. I tell my mom all the time, I'm sorry for this or sorry for that. Parenting is the toughest job I've ever done. Somedays I think I'm really starting to get the hang of this & then my kids will throw me a curve ball. I love how you mentioned seinfeld quotes as well, Brad & I do that all the time. Kids for sure say the darnest thing!!~Christy
    racenmommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally feel you on this one. I, too, am sarcastic sometimes, especially with Eliza. Isn't it funny how we expect our oldest to be so grown up and recognize when we're busy, etc? Parenting is so humbling. I accidentally said "crap" in front of Eliza the other day and she gave me a strike (we have a 3 strikes, tabasco sauce policy). Luckily, she thinks the word is "cramp", so we always secretly giggle if she says it (which she hardly ever does). :)

    ReplyDelete