Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Rain, Hail...and Tears




We have had quite a stormy June so far. After a week or so of unsettled weather, clouds, wind and threats of rain, I commented to Bryan that I wished it would just pour. I was tired of the stormy skies and no rain. It had rained in other areas but missed Herriman for the most part. Well, I wish I could take that back now. Yesterday we had rain on and off most the morning and then about 6pm it started to hail...large pea size hail for about 15 minutes follow by a down pour. My rain gutters were filled with ice and so the water pour off my roof like a water fall, filling my window wells, drowning my flowers, and frightening my 2 little children. I tried to take a few pictures but every time I opened the door, the screaming and crying increased, so the pictures don't do it justice, but I had a good inch of hail on our back patio table. It looked like it had snowed. Later in the evening, after pumping water out of window wells, and getting two kids to bed, I went out to survey the damage. My yard literally looked like tossed salad...like a deranged Edward Scissorhands had attacked my flowers and vegetable garden.
After:

Before...taken 1 week ago.

Now it was my turn to cry. Overwhelmed, I went inside and called my sister and cried about my loss...I thought for sure I was going to have to replant my entire yard. Just when everything was starting to look good and grow...just shredded. Well, my sweet sister came out this morning and helped me clean up debree and fertilize. There is hope for my flowers and vegetables...hurray! I will no long beg for down pours! While we were cleaning it up, I just kept thinking well at least I'm not a farmer and these vegetables are not my livelyhood...just a hobby! I'm hoping for 80 degree weather and have new sympathy for those that have been through tornadoes and lost everything!

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, I know!! Preston went out to survey the damage. I did not know what he'd been doing, and he came to me and said, (with the saddest look on his face) "Carrie, come here I need to show you something" then he said, "I think I am about to cry." Well, I literally thought our dog must have got hit by a car or something. Then he led me to the garden and I wanted to cry too!! So sad!! Praying for a recovery, for you and me! You had a good point, I feel this sad about some little vegtables and flowers that are all just for fun, not to survive. What a devasting thing for anyone who actually lost thier livelyhood, ya know? I am w/ ya, I am ready for the 80 degree weather. I liked the rain for a bit, but I am DONE now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like the same scenario we had at our house. My boys were crying hysterically and I almost did the same when I saw my garden blown and crushed to bits! I hope I can revive mine too!

    ReplyDelete