Monday, June 1, 2009

Inquiring Minds...and Noses


Have you ever read any of those Sam and Stella books from the library by Marie-Louise Gay? It's a cute little children's book series about a brother and sister who are always on some imaginary adventure together and all the while Sam quizzes his sister about the how and why of things. Stella always has some witty response.
"Stella, how do dogs learn how to swim?" asks Sam. "They take swimming lessons," answers Stella. You should check them out some time, they are so cute and fun.

Anyway, somtimes I feel like my life is a Sam and Stella book. My Benjamin is just like Sam, so inquisitive and curious and quizzing me a thousand times a day about all the hows and whys in the world. I think about 90 percent of his questions I either don't know the answer to or can't begin to think how to come up with a response a 6 year old can appreciate!

Here's a little list:

"Mom, what does the number infinity look like?"
"Do snakes know how to swim?"
"What would happen if you ate a watermelon seed?"
"Why do some animals lay eggs and why do cows give milk?"
"How many stars do you think there are?"
"What are you doing Mom?"
"When is it summer?"
"Why do we have Santa and Christmas trees on Jesus' birthday?"
"Why do some people speak different languages?"
"Is the Easter Bunny real or is it just a costume?"
"What is a butterfly doing when it's in his chrysalis?"
"Why does the Sun come up in the same place every morning and go down in the same place every night?"
"Why do dogs bark?"
"When is it summer?"
"What are you doing Mom?"
"What are we going to do today Mom?"
"Why do monkeys like to eat bananas?"
"Are ghosts real? What about the Holy Ghost?"


And if I'm not being quizzed to insanity by Ben, Natalie's nose is inquiring...

"I smell sumpin, Mom."
"What I smell?"
"Do you smell sumpin?"
"Sumpins in my nose."
"Sniff, sniff..what you smell, Mom?"

Good or bad, Natalie's nose doesn't let a scent go by without asking me about it or letting me know she "smells sumpin"!

I literally feel on the brink of insanity some days with all the questions! I need to be more like Stella and come up with something more witty than "I have no idea" and "Are you kidding me?" Let me know if you have a good response to what the number infinity looks like!

1 comment:

  1. Really cute post. I'm glad I'm not the only one on the edge of instanity!

    ReplyDelete